Saturday, January 14, 2012

"In life you always have a choice. Sometimes, it’s easier to think that you don’t."

I took this quote from a British sci-fi fantasy show called, Merlin.  Spoken by Guinevere, future Queen of Camelot, who starts out as a brown servant girl in this re-telling.  Her very existence puts the traditional story on its' ear.

I write teleplays, screenplays and short stories.  I also create movie trailers and "videokards" (more on that later).  I love taking traditional storytelling (your basic Steven Spielberg, David vs. Goliath, Neo and The Matrix type-stories) and updating them for the world I actually live in as well as the world in my head.  For example, I'm the only person I know who fully expected Trinity to turn out to be "The One" in The Matrix.  What an interesting twist that would have been, huh?


"In life you always have a choice. Sometimes, it’s easier to think that you don’t." - Guinevere, Merlin.  

For several years, I didn't know how to make the stories in my head into real live movies and TV shows, and also make money and provide a future for myself, my husband and my two kitties (more on them later, too!).  Many people have this dilemma.  So, for about a decade, I put the creative part of me on hiatus, let it dribble out in moments, but basically spent the majority of my life getting through school, making money and finding stability.  But, pssst!  Guess what?  Stability doesn't actually exist.  It's as much a figment of your imagination as the stories in my head.  I'll admit, it was easier to think I didn't have a choice.  Having a choice can be a terribly overwhelming responsibility to take on.  But, I am discovering, it is far more painful to limit yourself and your possibilities, by thinking choice is out of your hands.

Now, at 36 years old, I am putting "stability" on hiatus.  I am striving to become a good writer, director and editor, and striving less to find jobs based on how much crap I can take, or how well I can manage other people's lives.  The goal is to do what I love and get paid for it, so work is no longer work.  And life is all about choices, right?

I don't have a clever way to end this post.  Beginnings are much more fun, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment